it happens for a reason

staying up late is easy.

Monday, May 15, 2006

LISTENING SINCE THE PREVIOUS POST:

JENNY LEWIS AND THE WATSON TWINS- ‘RABBIT FUR COAT’

PANTYTEC- ‘MAY BE’

LOGAN SAMA KISS FM SET

SANCHO PANZA- ‘CARNIVAL MIX’

DANNY WEED AND MEGA- ‘COKE DRIVE’

PERSIL

THEY CAME FROM THE STARS I SAW THEM

TOKYO ADVENTURES

VOO

--------------------------------

oh, the cricket, the cricket. Dear me.

-----------------------

ANYWAY, a record that I love at the moment is ‘rabbit fur coat’ by Jenny Lewis and the Watson twins. Getting the facts out of the way quickly: It’s an alt-country record with nice tunes. Now on to the fun stuff; this music is so stately! Elegance is so important in music. People might not think that grime, the music that I spend most of my time listening to and thinking about, is elegat, but it is to me. It’s all about beautifully simple solutions.

‘rabbit fur coat’ is elegant in a different way. I don’t know if any of these songs are in 3/4 time or not, but I’d want to waltz to this record, if I knew how to waltz. As things are, it makes me want to sit outside in a sunset sipping long island iced teas and chatting about the day gone as the dust slowly settles back down on London. I love the way the singers glide and swoon in this gorgeously refined way. This is straight-backed music, done up to the nines, with a honeysuckle gentility to it. It’s music which makes me look forward to getting older.

But going to the other side of things, a few weeks ago at Fabric when I saw a group of Spanish shirts-off and shaved-head hard looking guys sing along drunkenly to Pantytec’s utterly wonderful ‘may be’, I thought it was pretty cool. In the UK, minimal techno/micro-house is a pretty niche, studenty, middle class interest, and it was interesting to see a little bit of how it’s received on the continent, where it’s much a bigger thing: hard music for cross-section dancefloors to go crazy to. As a middle class student, I have a stupid thing of thinking that the things that I like are somehow validated when people who aren’t middle class students like them. So, Perlon is hereby validated in my bourgeois-angst ridden mind…

‘may be’ is the latest Pantytec single (pantytec is sammy dee and zip). It starts out as a typically sexy and obtuse perlon cut, full of sugary but metallic ripples, sticky gurgles, and showered kisses of sound. Then, out of nowhere, a drunken trombone comes in and the track changes totally, into this stumbling journey home singalong. Smiles all round. You should buy it, you know.

----------------------------------

like lying on a beach you don’t really want to be on: Pandarescue on Ariel pink. It’s wonderful writing.

1 Comments:

Blogger tom said...

thanks for the kind words!

11:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home